activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Gerdes, Mike" <Mike.Ger...@airbus.com>
Subject AW: a strange ssl error
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 09:53:59 GMT

I have made a few testings and it seems to be some kind of a timing problem or so. I have
enabled full ssl debugging and compared both output files with diff. There are some different
ports and some lines are in a different order...nothing special here so I ignored that.
Then there is a point in the case when no error occurs, where a thread sends data. This is
not the case when the error occurs. Ok this error happens on two different machines with different
configurations.
So from this I would say, that the error occurs, when the socket is closed before one thread
can send its message. As this seams to be a timing problem, it would explain, why the error
doesn't happen in all cases.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: James Strachan [mailto:james.strachan@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 6. April 2006 14:00
An: activemq-users@geronimo.apache.org
Betreff: Re: a strange ssl error

Thanks for the heads up Mike. Its a bit surprising the close-thing; as
really all that happens with a close is we asynchronously send a close
command, then shut down the socket - but it appears from your stack
trace that the write of the close command fails while flushing the
buffer to the socket due to the socket already being closed which I
don't quite understand. Bizarre :)

If you can think of anything else to help us nail down this
strangeness please do let us know.

BTW I wonder if its anything to do with tcpNoDelayEnabled setting?
(i.e. whether we send complete packets or wait for them to fill up
etc).

http://activemq.org/Configuring+Wire+Formats

On 4/6/06, Gerdes, Mike <mike.gerdes@airbus.com> wrote:

> thanks for the fast answer. Ok there is no part of my network that closes the connection,
but your hint looks close to the error. It doesn't happen with tcp, but SSL throws sockettimeout
messages all the time and calls a close after the message is transfered. The timeouts don't
cause the connection to be closed while it is idle, so I guess there might be something in
the code that closes the connection or so.
> The funny thing is that everything works fine as long as no close is called. That means
I can send and recieve messages without any problems all the time, so the connection is not
totally dropped. But when I want to close it then the error occurs.
> It is not that critical, as I can just leave all connections open, but it might be a
problem in an enviroment with many clients and when the application that gets the exception
crashes.

> anyway thanks again james
>
> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

error. To be honest I have no clue what causes this error or why it is caused at all.
> > First this error happens in compination of ssl and jms, second the error only happens
in about 50% of all cases, third and the strangest thing is, that the error only happens when
a connection.close(); is in class file and I haven't noticed it when the connection is not
closed. Also it looks like the error is happening shortly before the connection.close(); command
is executed. At least the error is displayed right in the output of a loop that runs before
the connection.close();.

--

James
-------