activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding new transport
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:26:28 GMT
On 3/24/06, juro <jurorogikov@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a question for ActiveMQ developers.
>
> I am looking to use ActiveMQ as integral part of our product. Nevertheless
> we have some strong requirement to pass data through custom protocol (not
> TCP).
>
> How would I add custom Transport programmatically?   Is it possible or I
> have to add transport through ActiveMQ resources similar to how tcp or vm
> transports implemented?

Absolutely; ActiveMQ is designed to allow custom transports to be
plugged in. You can programatically create TransportConnector
instances and add them to the BrokerService in Java code....
http://activemq.codehaus.org/maven/apidocs/org/apache/activemq/broker/BrokerService.html#addConnector(org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnector)

or you can use the transport discovery mechanism, so that folks can
just use your new transport using the neat URI syntax.

The way it works is that the URI scheme (e.g. "vm") is used to find a
text file on the classpath - here are all the schemes provided...

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-core/src/main/resources/META-INF/services/org/apache/activemq/transport/

then the contents of the file is the class name of a Java class on the
classpath which extends the TransportFactory class
http://activemq.codehaus.org/maven/apidocs/org/apache/activemq/transport/TransportFactory.html

--

James
-------