activemq-users mailing list archives

From claudem <>
Subject Failover failure?
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:39:15 GMT

Not sure if this is the expected behavior, but this is what happens when
testing failover on the activeMQ4-SNAPSHOT (march 23rd). I am using Lingo's
async tests in these tests but this is not lingo specific.

Failover works well when starting a client process that attemps to connect
to a broker that is not available: once the broker is available, the client
connects without problems. But If I stop the broker and there was a client
waiting to receive messages, it crashes the client. I did the following
steps using the lingo asyn examples with an extenal broker:

* I have NO activeMQ broker running

* I start a lingo server that connects to brokerURL:

* I start a lingo client that connects to the same URL.

* Both are waiting for the broker to be available

* I start the broker at this URL.

* The server receives the message and sends back its result to the client.

* The client receives the message and closes.

Then, I stop the broker. After a few seconds, the server terminates as well
without any thrown exception.

Is this the expected behavior? I would have thought that the server would
remain active until the broker is restarted.

PS: I cross-posted to the old forum before sending here. There does not seem
to have much traffic on the old forum so here it is. Original message is at
Sent from the ActiveMQ - User forum at

View raw message