activemq-users mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: updated cms c++ stomp client
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:27:05 GMT
On 1 Mar 2006, at 15:08, Mittler, Nathan wrote:
> At this point, I'm just building in eclipse.  If a makefile is
> preferred, I can cook one up.
>
> Now that I am able to check out from SVN, I plan on taking a closer
> look
> at the openwire-cpp client.  My guess is that stomp is going away,
> given
> that the openwire protocol is more robust.

Not quite.I think Stomp's gonna be around a long time - its awesomely
simple.

OpenWire is more powerful; but its also a little more fiddly & error
prone. So folks from a scripting language background (Ruby, Python,
Perl) will probably always use stomp. Folks armed with telnet
probably will too :)

But I think the C/C++/C# crowd will probably gravitate to OpenWire.

Having both will be great though - as if you hit a backwards
compatibility issue with OpenWire, you can always switch to stomp.
e.g. if you have some C++ client in some legacy app in 5 years from
now, it can keep talking Stomp rather than having to upgrade to the
latest-greatest OpenWire etc.

> If that's the case, I think
> it makes more sense to simply transition to the openwire-cpp code
> base.
> We can certainly use CMS as a reference going forward.

Yeah thats what I'm thinking. I've mostly checked the code in so its
easier for folks to see it - compare and contrast the code - then we
can start merging stuff together hopefully. Once stuff is in SVN its
easy to move around etc

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/