activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis Documentation for older releases on WebSite
Date Thu, 09 May 2019 09:44:05 GMT
I think trimming older release doc content to keep the site managable
is reasonable, and there are various approaches that could be used to
trim things. Over at Qpid we tend to trim down to the last 2 years or
so of release docs every now and then (its overdue currently, carrying
just over 3). If taking an approach like that, as example there would
clearly be old Artemis docs that could be removed. Another approach
might be, removing even more docs for version streams not considered
the current for some time, e.g maybe now all the 1.x Artemis docs
could go except the latest 1.5.6 release.

Looking at the size and content of the release docs themselves is
perhaps also important. Having a peek at whats there currently for the
refreshed ActiveMQ site, I see the 5.x javadocs are using about 400MB
per release, but over half of it looks to be for source html. If so, I
think thats of limited value personally, with IDEs often pulling
source(+javadoc) jars directly and browsers having various web UI
options such as GitHub etc to utilise. Thats >200MB per release I
think we could perhaps remove and substitute with a link to the
release tag.

Robbie