activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Status of NMS & CMS
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2019 16:54:07 GMT
I see Justin as noting the minimal activity around these bits and
trying to illicit some clearer idea of the people actually still
intending to help maintain them going forward, in part as a means of
gauging whether its worth updating the site content for them. A thread
on dev@ specifically discussing their status seems the best way to do
that to me.

Saying you see value in something is not someone saying they will help
maintain it. There being users is not someone saying they will help
maintain it. I see one person who might have said they intend to help
maintain things on the CPP side. Some other people have either said or
implied they wont be helping maintain them. I've avoided commenting in
the thread so far as that latter direction includes me.

While I am commenting though..I think the 'there are users' argument
goes both ways and its in general nicer to let any users know the
actual state of things, once established. I believe components that
are not under active maintenance should be noted that way in some
fashion so its clear thats true, in case there are actually users
(nothing is stopping them continuing to use it regardless). If it
becomes clear thats the case, e.g it seems insuffcient folks actually
step forward to maintain something, then to me it doesnt seem
particularly different to the recent commits marking Apollo as
deprecated, or the LevelDB related stuff being marked deprecated in
the past as mentioned earlier in the thread.

I dont think I'd consider a component maintained and releasable
without a site presence. Linking to old content for docs would be fine
though.

Robbie