activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] automated github messages on a separate list
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2019 12:44:57 GMT
I think we should stop asking infra to do things before they have been
fully set out/agreed. If I was infra then now you have updated the
JIRA my next question would be: what is this new list called? Followed
by, why didnt we create it already using https://selfserve.apache.org?

Personally, I would just re-use "issues@" given PR comments do seem
like issues traffic, and I think we have enough lists.

If enough folks think we should use a new list though, it would be
good to agree a name (which could be done via a simple lazy consensus
statement), then we can create it, and then we can ask infra to update
things to use it.

Robbie

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 at 12:03, Clebert Suconic <clebert.suconic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lazy consensus was for the overal move. I didn't think on the list
> name (I thought it was ok on just moving it there)
>
> I will change the JIRA to be on its own list.
>
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 5:24 AM Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemmell@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Invoking Lazy Consensus normally involves giving people a clear period
> > to agree/disagree with your intended action before you initiate it.
> > This mail thread had obviously been around for a number of days, but
> > discussing 'should we do this?' isn't quite the same thing as
> > discussing 'I'm doing this tomorrow unless further discussion suggests
> > otherwise'. You shouldnt have to 'assume consensus'. Some of the
> > details weren't at all concrete, in particular noone really properly
> > discussed the destination list: 'new list' or 'separate list' was the
> > terminology you used throughout the thread and commits@ was only
> > mentioned as a 'for instance' by JB once mid-thread.
> >
> > I'm -1 on using "commits@" personally, I dont think comments on PRs
> > belong on that list. There is also an "issues@" already where the JIRA
> > traffic was moved previously and between those two lists I'd say that
> > makes a far better destination, if it isn't to be a completely new
> > list.
> >
> > If folks mostly think using commits@ is great, so be it, but we should
> > actually discuss that. I have posted on the JIRA to ask that Infra to
> > hold off moving things while we do so.
> >
> > I'm -0 on the overall move as I too think the messages are fine where
> > they are and are easily filterable, but I do admit the same applies in
> > reverse; if we move them I'll typically just filter them back into the
> > same place they were going originally.
> >
> > Robbie
> >
> > On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 16:01, Clebert Suconic <clebert.suconic@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > I'm assuming consensus and I'm asking infra to move the gitbox
> > > messages to the commit message.

Ryan yeats who just posted his opinion (as if someone just joining)

avoid me having to maintain several mail group subscriptions, it will all come to one mailbox
anyhow.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Date: 15/02/2019  22:39  (GMT+00:00) To: dev@activemq.apache.org Subject: Re: [Discuss] automated
github messages on a separate list The thing is.  I can do fine with filtering.  So in a way
I’m doing thisbased on a feedback of someone else.So I am putting myself in the shoes of
someone  coming on board now. Justtrying to make it easy for new people.On Fri, Feb 15, 2019
at 6:58 AM Christopher Shannon <christopher.l.shannon@gmail.com> wrote:> I am +0
on this because either way is fine with me as it's really easy to> do mail filters on either
addresses or on subject tags.>> There is a ton of Github traffic right now obviously
so to make it> manageable I have filters and labels setup on my gmail account so that>
GitHub related messages get tagged with one label and everything else is a> different one
which solves the issue.  I imagine most email providers have> something similar.>>
On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 3:20 AM Clebert Suconic <clebert.suconic@gmail.com> >>
wrote:>> > People are probably missing this discussion because of that noise.>
more> > > often: I think that it be good.> > >> > > I think that
the Github messages create a lot of noise in the mailbox.> It> > > requires constant
cleaning/filtering and it is easy to miss discussions> > > about subjects that interest
me and for which I would like to help.> > >> > > On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at
12:43 AM Clebert Suconic <> > > clebert.suconic@gmail.com>> > > wrote:>
> [...]
here> > > > suggesting doing this in the past and we decided to let just people>
to> > > > filter out stuff with filters.   Etc.> > > >> > >
> But this doesn’t make easy to recruit new open source  devs.> > > >>
> > > I just heard from a guy who only subscribed users list because there> is>
> > too> > > > much traffic.> > > >> > > > Github
is easy enough to follow.  So I propose we move GitHub> comments> > > to a>
> > > separate list.> > > >> > > >> > > > We
could leave this list for more generic and important discussions.> > > Such> >
> > as the web site. Architectural decisions.  Releases.  And eventually> > even>
> > > codes but without the clutter of github.> > > > --> > >
> Clebert Suconic> > > >> > >> > >> > > --> >
> Kind regards> > >> > --> > Clebert Suconic> >>-- Clebert
Suconic