activemq-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2017 04:00:32 GMT
I had the following empty git repo created to hold the HTML from the
current website:

https://github.com/apache/activemq-web

However, I have a conundrum -- content cannot be pushed directly to a
Github ASF repo. Content can only be added via pull request but Github does
not allow a pull request on an empty repo.

Any ideas on how to get the HTML into the repo? I guess I could ask ASF
Infra to push it.

Bruce

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 8:17 PM, Bruce Snyder <bruce.snyder@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm going to address all the questions to me in this single reply.
>
> My original suggestion was that we export the HTML from Confluence,
> convert to Markdown and put the Markdown and the images in a git repo.
> Markdown is much easier to edit than raw HTML, especially the HTML exported
> from Confluence (blech!). The idea was that we could use Jekyll + SAAS to
> craft a new website. In fact, Michael Andre Pearce produced a mockup of
> this using the Apache Metro website as an example (because it already makes
> use of Jekyll + SAAS). It was enough to convince me that we should take
> this path, so I started looking into doing a full, new export of Confluence
> pages to HTML. If you have not seen Michael's mockup, you should really
> take a look.
>
> So, I manually grabbed the raw HTML that is automagically exported from
> Confluence and is hosting the current site that we see at
> http://activemq.apache.org. I did some testing on it using text2html and
> the conversion it does is pretty awful and would require a lot of hand work
> to fix it. So, we discussed the point that there are 1600+ pages of HTML to
> manually edit. But I later realized that it was only about 950 HTML pages
> (from what I can tell so far).
>
> Then, Dan Kulp found a Confluence HTML to raw HTML converter built on top
> of PanDoc. So, I have also been trying to export the HTML from Confluence
> in order to try out the PanDoc converter (it works based on the Confluence
> export function which is different from how the HTML is automagically
> converted). Unfortunately, I am running into a NullPointerException from
> Confluence. ASF Infra is telling me that the NPE is due to the CDATA in the
> search function on the Navigation page and is suggesting that the solution
> is to remove the Navigation page. The problem with this suggestion is that
> it would fundamentally remove all the navigation on the right-hand side of
> the site -- not what we want.
>
> I have also given some thought to the idea that removing the current site
> will break all links to old site. This is something that cannot be
> overlooked and must be prevented as we do not want to leave users who have
> bookmarked a page high and dry. This is a fairly easy problem to solve this
> using some mod_rewrite rules, the question is if ASF Infra is willing to
> allow us to deploy such custom rules. This should be investigated when we
> get to that point, but we are not there yet. First, we need to decide the
> best path forward based on what I have described above in the preceding
> paragraphs.
>
>
> Bruce
>
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Martyn Taylor <mtaylor@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I was thinking there would be a single css file for all the pages.  But I
>> haven't seen the files yet. Let's have a play around when Bruce pushes the
>> export.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> On 12 Dec 2017 5:30 pm, "Michael André Pearce" <
>> michael.andre.pearce@me.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > What’s 1600 pages between friends....
>> >
>> > I agree it will be easier to covert to md than to start doing css
>> styles.
>> > It’s all from a wiki anyhow so it’s can’t be that far off.
>> >
>> > It be good to get some samples (eg 50 pages) if not all just to try and
>> > see what it is like.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > On 12 Dec 2017, at 17:04, Clebert Suconic <clebert.suconic@gmail.com>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > >> Exporting to MD and creating a gitbook seems like a big task, I
>> suspect
>> > any
>> > >> tool we use will cause a bunch of styling/content issues.
>> > >>
>> > >> At least initially, how about we just create a nice landing page that
>> > >> brings the ActiveMQ site and Artemis site together, and refresh/align
>> > the
>> > >> existing content with some CSS?
>> > >
>> > > I was just looking for the minimal effort task. I thought that
>> > > converting these pages into a doc would be easier than converting them
>> > > to another .css...
>> > >
>> > > if the conversion needed to be done anyways... I thought .md would be
>> > > easier and having a better final presentation.
>> >
>>
>
>
>
> --
> perl -e 'print unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&
> 5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
>
> ActiveMQ in Action: http://bit.ly/2je6cQ
> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder
>



-- 
perl -e 'print
unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

ActiveMQ in Action: http://bit.ly/2je6cQ
Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message