activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] ActiveMQ Artemis becomes ActiveMQ 6
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2017 14:34:47 GMT
My understanding of this vote is that it is a decision to officially state
the intent of the ActiveMQ project to eventually release Artemis as
ActiveMQ 6.x and get moving in that direction to identify and address
concerns. For this I vote +1.

We must document this intent clearly on the website, stating that there is
no plan to deprecate ActiveMQ 5.x and explain that ActiveMQ 5.x development
line will continue. We also must make it very clear on the website that
ActiveMQ 6.x is not officially released yet. There are too many users who
will not upgrade their current environments easily (or possibly ever) and
we must not leave them in a lurch.

I agree that there are several points of confusion that must be addressed
and these need to be identified on a wiki page so that the project can work
through each of them. Also, more testing must be done to prove that all
ActiveMQ 5.x supported scenarios have been covered by Artemis, including
the migration of existing ActiveMQ 5.x configurations to Artemis (this
migration must be exhaustively documented).

Another topic that I think should be addressed is the version number that
is currently being used for Artemis as releasing it with a version of 2.x
sends a confusing messaging to the community.

To address the vendor version questions, such questions concerning vendor
products have zero bearing on the Apache ActiveMQ project and are not the
project's concern.

Bruce

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:04 AM, Hiram Chirino <hiram@hiramchirino.com>
wrote:

> +1
>
> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 3:33 PM Clebert Suconic <clebert.suconic@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Following on from the discussion, "[DISCUSS] Confusion surrounding the
> > ActiveMQ project roadmap"
> >
> > linked here for convenience :
> > -
> > http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Confusion-
> surrounding-the-ActiveMQ-project-roadmap-td4732935.html
> > -
> > http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Re-DISCUSS-
> Confusion-surrounding-the-ActiveMQ-project-roadmap-td4733148.html
> >

> > I would like to propose a vote on ActiveMQ Artemis mainline becoming
> > ActiveMQ 6.
> >
> > [+1] -  agree
> > [-1] . - disagree and provide some reason
> > [0] - neutral but go ahead
> >
> > This vote will be open until Thursday, Dec 07 by the end of the day.
> >
> > Here is my +1 (PMC) vote.
> >
> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.