activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Bertram <jbert...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Inquiry about how ActiveMQ has no support for settings and getters which existed in Legacy AMQ-5.x
Date Mon, 23 Oct 2017 15:54:02 GMT
>  the artemis implementation of ActiveMQConnectionFactory, and why the
setters and getters were removed?

To be clear, the Artemis client implementation is 100% independent of the
5.x client implementation so, technically speaking, no setters or getters
were removed.  Also, it's worth noting that while Artemis has good feature
parity with the 5.x broker there has been no concerted effort toward API
compatibility between client implementations (of course excluding standards
like JMS, JNDI, etc.).

> We are working on integration of AMQ with bigdata tools and they are expecting
AMQ-Artemis to behave as old AMQConnectionFactory used to.

I'm not sure this is a valid expectation.  As mentioned previously the two
client implementations are separate and no guarantee of API compatibility
has been advertised.  The URL is really an implementation detail, and
applications that rely on implementation details open themselves up to
incompatibilities when moving between implementations.  In the specific
case of API compatibility I would strongly encourage users towards
standards wherever possible in lieu of relying on implementation details.

That said, if there's a simple change that would bring value to the Artemis
client implementation I think it would be accepted.

> Also, would this be more of a "user-list" post?

Since this concerns the development of the broker (e.g. potential PR, etc.)
the dev list is fine.

Justin