activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <tabish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSS] Web Management Console for Artemis.
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2017 16:23:44 GMT
On 07/13/2017 12:10 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
> I am tempted to merge it now actually....
>
> Anyone opposed to this? it would be cool to have a console on this
> next release.. if it's all good.

Please stick to the original plan.  I guessing there's other folks like
myself who haven't had time to even look at this new console yet.

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Michael André Pearce
> <michael.andre.pearce@me.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I would like to start a fresh discussion to keep things cleaner, and to provide more
of a notification/update. (also to better name the subject)

>> The requirement for such a tool comes from many end users (including myself) which
keep requesting such a feature of a web management console (a small selection of a much larger
list i can supply many more), and so becomes more and more pressing to resolve.

>> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/How-to-monitor-artemis-td4727071.html <http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/How-to-monitor-artemis-td4727071.html>
>> https://softwarerecs.stackexchange.com/questions/39052/administration-console-for-artemis-jms-broker
<https://softwarerecs.stackexchange.com/questions/39052/administration-console-for-artemis-jms-broker>
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37162532/how-to-monitor-apache-artemis <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37162532/how-to-monitor-apache-artemis>
>>

>> Based off the discussion here:
>>
>> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Removing-the-Web-Console-td4717136i40.html#a4728199
<http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Removing-the-Web-Console-td4717136i40.html#a4728199>

>> We have some key requirements as noted were (not exhaustive but a small summary of
noted in the above thread):

>> Must be ActiveMQ Branded
>> No third party / propriety other products should be mentioned apart from a powered
by.
>> Help and about pages should be ActiveMQ Artemis focussed
>> Provide functionality to manage the broker
>> This should be able to expand over time
>> License/Notice files and any legal requirements are updated/met
>> The war size should be kept to a minimum
>> Login/Security should be integrated to the broker roles/users
>> Plugins/customisation specific to AcitveMQ Artemis to reside in ActiveMQ Artemis
project.

>> Also we had some good early feedback in the community on the missing bits in our
early PR, of bits that needed/must be addressed. (thanks to Dan, Clebert, Martyn).

>> We believe we have a viable “agreeable" solution to provide a web console admin
for Apache ActiveMQ Artemis.

>> As such we don’t see any reason to hold off and would like to bring your attention
(again) to the PR please make any standard review comments there.

>> https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/pull/1385 <https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/pull/1385>
>>
>> Also there has been a small discussion on how to release this, so that we can start
to get end user feedback, as users tend to want a built usable distribution, like wise there
is concern of bundling this into the next release.

>> We propose:
>> We will release the upcoming next version of Apache ActiveMQ Artemis, WITHOUT the
new web console. This is due to occur in the coming week.
>> We will then subsequently look to merge and release another version of Apache ActiveMQ
Artemis WITH the console, so it is in a clean release with only the addition of the web console.
This should occur almost immediately after.

>> I should thank Clebert and Martyn in offering to run the extra release this would
require, but de-risk some community concerns.

>> This solution is based off a hawtio framework, i would like to iterate i am not a
RedHat employee, nor anything to do with Hawtio project. I work for a company that uses the
project like other end users, and simply see it as a framework to enable us in activemq to
deliver a usable web management console for artemis with as little cost, effort and maintenance
as possible, to provide an immediate need in the user community.

--
Tim Bish
twitter: @tabish121