activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Michael André Pearce <michael.andre.pea...@me.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Removing the Web Console
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2017 19:31:01 GMT
Hi,

This is the proposal, for lack of a better one and lack of any console for artemis currently,
and as end users are crying out for this including myself (I work for a company called IG
Group).

It is to provide skinned version of hawtio (ASL) using the fact you can provide a branding
plugin, I have created this, and is what the screenshots show and available in my personal
branch currently.

Then to provide/expose neatly the artemis management features, there already exists in the
wild an artemis plugin (currently in a git project called rh-messaging) to provide a rich
feature set. As per my call out it seem the guys are willing to contribute this into artemis
project.

This is quite clean as if anyone wishes not to use or remove you can simply comment out in
the bootstrap.xml its just some wars, like wise we just need to worry about maintaining going
forwards just the plugins not a whole FE framework.

Also if in the future a better viable option is chaired, then this can be replaced, but for
now at least this provides an out the box solution which as already stated myself and other
users are crying out for.

As per the minimum things we needed to address which Dan kindly bulleted for us, to make this
acceptable, i believe I have met all the minimum bar requirements now.

=============

I discussed previously, what would NEED to be done for this to be “acceptable”:

1) All branding/links/etc… in the console need to be re-skinned or whatever to be “ActiveMQ”.
 All mentions of hawtio and links off to other sites other than a possible small “powered
by” type thing would need to be removed.

2) All “plugins” and functionality that don’t pertain to things related to ActiveMQ
would need to be removed.

3) The “plugin" that presents ActiveMQ related stuff to the user MUST live here at Apache
and part of the ActiveMQ community.   We cannot use the one they provide (unless you can convince
them to donate it to Apache).

=============

1 - Done - See screenshots. (one note as per community feedback is for me to add a poweredBy
logo , i can easily do this)
2 - Done - See screenshots
3 - Done - As per mail thread it seems they’re willing to donate this.

Cheers
Mike

> On 4 Jul 2017, at 18:57, artnaseef <art@amlinv.com> wrote:
>
> Please catch me up here - are we saying that the Artemis built-in web
> console will be running HawtIO???
>
> Art
>

> On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 7:15 AM, rajdavies [via ActiveMQ] <
> ml+s2283324n4728199h17@n4.nabble.com> wrote:
>
>> On the “about” page - it would be polite to reference the hawtio comunity
>> - i.e. “Artemis Management console is powered by hawtio: hawt.io <
>> http://hawt.io/>” etc - as there is no powered by logo.
>>
>>> On 3 Jul 2017, at 23:52, Michael André Pearce <[hidden email]
>> <http:///user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4728199&i=0>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok,
>>>
>>> So i think we can do this. From a local build.
>>>
>>> Please see screenshots.
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/michaelandrepearce/
>> 98b4be98d20f407c2d745a41df9cef03 <https://gist.github.com/
>> michaelandrepearce/98b4be98d20f407c2d745a41df9cef03>
>>>
>>> For 1) I think we have managed to completely skin it, with all hawtio
>> references removed, even the favicon.
>>> For 2) Only the artemis plugin and base jvm plugins, no extras for any
>> other products.
>>> For 3) Im hoping we can come to agreement on this gets contributed in
>> from the rh-messaging project @clebert @martyn @andy?, if not we can
>> probably code up a simpler version of it for now without bells and
>> whistles, and add in the future features later.
>>>
>>> So if we sort point three, i think we can make this “acceptable”
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Mike

>> <http:///user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4728199&i=2> <mailto:[hidden
>> email] <http:///user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4728199&i=3>>>

>> selected new logo ;) once decided without too much trouble.

>> “acceptable”:

>> whatever to be “ActiveMQ”.  All mentions of hawtio and links off to other
>> sites other than a possible small “powered by” type thing would need to be
>> removed.

>> to ActiveMQ would need to be removed.

>> live here at Apache and part of the ActiveMQ community.   We cannot use the
>> one they provide (unless you can convince them to donate it to Apache).

>> maybe?

>> logging, this doesn't have a notice file

>> projects themselves eg artemis itself it's policy to provide one for the
>> asf work.

>> ActiveMQ 5.x
>> common
>> a gap in