activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <tabish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] - Propose new sub-project activemq-extras
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2017 17:06:27 GMT
On 06/08/2017 11:21 AM, Michael André Pearce wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I would like to discuss proposing a new sub project , named "activemq-extras"
>
> There is some common / generic components not specific to activemq5 , artemis, qpid jms
that currently live within or without some extras project would end up living in one.

> Some of these could be:
> PooledConnectionFactory
> Proposed custom serdes idea
> Possible future kafka integrations
> Etc.

Given the scope outlined here as well as the aspiration to make this a
cross cutting set of features that work with clients that aren't part of
ActiveMQ land but just JMS clients in general then I'd lean towards a -1
of creating a new subproject or building new modules into Artemis that
provide these features.

My suggestion would be to go the route of an incubator project where you
could work out the goals as aspirations of this new project and build a
community around that.  I think there would be more willingness from
folks that aren't ActiveMQ centric developers to contribute to a project
that lives on it's own given the current goal seems to be that it's
something that works with many different JMS client implementations,
most of which aren't ActiveMQ....

Have a look at the incubator process (http://incubator.apache.org/) I
think it lends itself to what's being proposed here more so than just
spinning up a subproject and starting to write some code.

--
Tim Bish
twitter: @tabish121