activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <tabish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] - Propose new sub-project activemq-extras
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2017 22:48:21 GMT
On 06/09/2017 09:58 AM, Matt Pavlovich wrote:
> Do we not already have precedent for something similar?  NMS is a sub-project of ActiveMQ
but includes support for non-ActiveMQ brokers.

The NMS bits aren't quite the same as this as the initial goal of that
was to create a .NET based ActiveMQ client and it sort of morphed out
from there.  There are some similarities though and in those you can
kind of see the problem of putting a bunch of non-ActiveMQ type bits
under and ActiveMQ subproject.  The NMS project has never grown much of
a community of developers to support all the various client
implementations, there's many just two people who contribute.  As such
the project has mostly died, there hasn't been any releases in a long
time, an some of the implementations have never seen an official release
as there was nobody to manage it.  I felt for a long time like NMS would
have been better served as it's own project but my desire to work on
.NET code is quite low so I never pushed to move it to incubator but
really that's what should have happened in my mind.

>> On Jun 9, 2017, at 8:39 AM, Timothy Bish <tabish121@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 06/09/2017 09:04 AM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
>>> Yip. That's the idea.  The connection pool was mentioned at the top from
>>> Michael.
>>>
>>> I'm just thinking if we could expand the scope a bit so we won't open a new
>>> incubatorb project for just two libraries.
>> The initial scope as presented was
>>
>> {quote}
>> Some of these could be:
>> PooledConnectionFactory
>> Proposed custom serdes idea
>> Possible future kafka integrations
>> Etc.
>> {quote}
>>
>> Given you've got two concrete one sort of abstract and one etc it seems there's some
hints at there being more than just two libraries.  The thing I'd prefer not to do is to create
stuff that gets hidden in the noise of the ActiveMQ project which is to create a great messaging
broker where it could be something that can stand on its own and have its own community etc.

>> It seems that some actual thought about what you are trying to achieve with these
proposed bits will help sort out where they should live.  The natural thing to do is create
new ActiveMQ modules are subprojects but just because it's easy to do that doesn't always
mean its the best thing in the long run.