activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Clebert Suconic <clebert.suco...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Use pooled buffers on message body
Date Thu, 11 May 2017 22:13:14 GMT
One thing I couldn't do before without some proper thinking was to use
a Pooled Buffer on the message bodies.

It would actually rock out the perf numbers if that could be achieved...

I'm thinking this should be done on the server only. Doing it on the
client would mean to give some API to users to tell when the message
is gone and no longer needed.. I don't think we can do this with JMS
core, or any of the qpid clients... although we could think about an
API in the future for such thing.

For the server: I would need to capture when the message is released..
the only pitfal for this would be paging as the Page read may come and
go... So, this will involve some work on making sure we would call the
proper places.

We would still need to copy from Netty Buffer into another
PooledBuffer as the Netty buffer would need to be a Native buffer
while the message a regular Buffer (non Native).

I am thinking of investing my time on this (even if my spare time if
needed be) after apache con next week.

This will certainly attract Francesco and Michael Pierce's attention..
but this would be a pretty good improvement towards even less GC
pressure.

--
Clebert Suconic