activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Michael André Pearce <michael.andre.pea...@me.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Custom Object Serialisation Support
Date Wed, 31 May 2017 02:00:02 GMT
Hi Matt,

I think having just a SerDe interface for payload handling separate from a general interceptor
/ client side plugin, is beneficial as then it keeps the logic for serialsation well encapsulated.
And also cleaner if we need to do anything (eg sending it as a bytesmessags with a header
flag)

 I see this very much like difference in kafka where you have payload serialisation (serdes)
and custom-plugin (interceptors)

Also having just a serde makes interface for people to implement and care about much simpler.
Eg this is almost the interface I would expect:

byte[] serialize(Destination destination, Object o)

Object deserialize(Destination destination, byte[] bytes)

Nice and simple to implement without having to care about anything else.

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my iPhone

> On 30 May 2017, at 23:18, Matt Pavlovich <mattrpav@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Michael-
>
> +1 dealing with bytes messages is preferred to object messages and custom object SerDes
is super useful.

> What do you think about considering a generic client-side plugin approach vs just a payload
handler?

>> On May 30, 2017, at 4:03 PM, Michael André Pearce <michael.andre.pearce@me.com>
wrote:

>> If present then this would be used to serialise the Object instead of the default,
and subsequently create/convert to a BytesMessage, with a header set to denote it was custom
serialised.