activemq-dev mailing list archives

From nigro_franz <nigro....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis IOPS Limiter strategy
Date Fri, 12 May 2017 14:48:02 GMT
I was thinking of a similar solution but I've discovered that couldn't work
(in the old or the new TimedBuffer too), because of the
TimedBuffer::checkSize method that could force a flush if the batch buffer
if not big enough to receive new data, going IOPS.
Sadly TimedBuffer::checkSize is outside any timeout, but depends on the
writers.

That's why I've implemented the "compensation" right after any flush, in
order to work with forced flushes too:

https://github.com/franz1981/activemq-artemis/blob/4b831021dab3e0dd276f477e3ea665e11ab54d0e/artemis-journal/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/artemis/core/io/buffer/TimedBuffer.java#L338

Doing it on TimedBuffer::flush all the flushes on disk will be compensated
(half of the story: ASYNCIO is async so depends on libAIO partially!)
Regarding the IOPS computation I've built this, as you've suggested:
https://github.com/franz1981/activemq-artemis/blob/4b831021dab3e0dd276f477e3ea665e11ab54d0e/artemis-journal/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/artemis/core/io/buffer/TimedBuffer.java#L119

The performance seems pretty good, it compensates well but it is faster than
the original version, limiting IOPS too!

Thanks,
Franz