activemq-dev mailing list archives

From nigro_franz <nigro....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis IOPS Limiter strategy
Date Wed, 10 May 2017 12:20:36 GMT
You're right, but AFAIK flow control mechanisms can react only on already
happened events: they cannot argue what could be the cause and
avoid/reducing it before it will happen.
It is only a guess by my side...am I wrong?

AFAIK the majority of journals/WALs doesn't have IOPS limiters (AFAIK only
for random access writes): strictly speaking seems not a "must have" for
the common case.

But consider VM-like (eg Amazon machines) environments with users that pay a
certain amount of IOPS and get slowed down when exceeded or when is best to
have generally slower (throughput) systems but with low variance in latency
side.
A specialized IOPS limiter can address these cases, trying to compensate too
many IOPS in the meantime, before the disk will do it for you in a worst
manner....makes more sense?

We need hardware engineers specialized in storage solutions here to ask