activemq-dev mailing list archives

From nigro_franz <nigro....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adapting TimedBuffer and NIO Buffer Pooling
Date Mon, 08 May 2017 18:12:25 GMT
In the meantime, I'm searching good articles to add other disk I/O limiter
strategies, maybe based on IOPS credits consumption.

A possible idea about an IOPS limiter:
- a single writer/appender/sync thread to perform the real writes & flush
- a bounded queue of bytes (I've already designed a couple pretty fast) to
submit any requests
- a proper batch strategy on the appender/sync thread based on the current
IOPS and unflushed writes

The bounded queue/ringbuffer will be useful to propagate backpressure
"naturally" to the request producer, bounding the max latency and with
bounded memory footprint.

What do you think?

Right now I've found only this article:
https://engineering.linkedin.com/blog/2016/05/designing-ssd-friendly-applications-for-better-application-perfo
But it doesn't take in account sync operations and is specific only for
SSDs!!
If any of you have something good on the argument, please share :)