activemq-dev mailing list archives

From nigro_franz <nigro....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] OutOfDirectMemory on high memory pressure 4 NettyConnection
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2017 07:15:38 GMT
>This one is tricky... The Linux kernel has some thread controls... so
>the writing has to be done through a single thread... context switch
>would make some extra IO on disks and performance would suffer...

Yes, you're right,sorry I've missed some context :P
I mean a configuration like this:

clients that ned to append to the journal  --[APPEND REQUESTS QUEUE]-->
journal appender (poll the requests) that uses the SequentialFile
implementation

The Journal appender will be single threaded and would use the chosen
SequentialFile (as it is) implementation, draining from the append requests
queue the requests to write into the journal and batching when necessary if
it will help to improve the performance (coalescing the flushes).
The same could be done on the InVM/NettyConnection too: the thread that is
responsible to batch the writes to the sockets could receive its requests
from a queue without any further need to allocate new buffers every time...
My other concern here is how Netty could behave...