activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <tabish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move Apache.NMS project to Git
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2017 00:15:04 GMT
On 02/15/2017 06:41 PM, Jim Gomes wrote:
> Breaking this out into its own discussion thread...
>
> It has been proposed that Apache.NMS Subversion repository be moved to a
> Git repository.  While the dominate reason seems to be "that's what
> everyone else is doing", I'm sure there are more technical reasons for the
> proposal. I will let others offer up those reasons for the move.
>
> As for my position, Subversion has been sufficient, but I'm not entirely
> opposed to the move as long as certain technical requirements can be met.
> These technical requirements can be entirely met if the Git repository is
> automatically mirrored to GitHub, which allows for Subversion clients to
> access a Git repository.  In that case, the port to a Git repository
> back-end would be completely transparent.
>
> So, let's discuss the technical merits on moving the repository to Git.

We could move to CVS, I hear some people used to think that was
sufficient  ;)

Depends on who you ask about SVN vs Git.  They both work, but I think
many of us have moved on to using Git for most everything we work on so
having to go back and muddle with SVN at this point seems an extra hurdle.

I would say that having the ability to easily link a git based project
up to the Github mirror to grab PRs, apply them, push them to my github
mirror while testing and tweaking and them eventually merging and
pushing to the Activemq repo is certainly a lot simpler than muddling
with patches and SVN.

It is a simple thing to have Infra mirror the NMS git repos on Github,
we do that already with ActiveMQ, ActiveMQ-CPP and Artemis among others.

--
Tim Bish
twitter: @tabish121