activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Clebert Suconic <clebert.suco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ utility project name
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2017 14:38:01 GMT
On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Justin Bertram <jbertram@apache.com> wrote:
>> For large stores I think we will need to do something here in terms of compression
otherwise we could end up with huge XML files.

> What specifically are your concerns and ideas here?  Storage appears cheap and plentiful
and files can be compressed after they are created with gzip or similar.  Also, huge message
stores are (IMO) an anti-pattern.  A message broker is not a database after all.  What use-cases
do you have in mind?

I am not sure what CShanon had in mind,

but we could (I"m not saying yet we should.. just listing the possibility):

-  import from KahaDB and do directly what the importer is doing.
Instead of dumping an XML, it could add directly to the broker running
from the kahaDB storage.

I don't mind a huge XML (or compressed gz in such way the importer
would read compressed). But it could be an option eventually.

@CShanon: I wouldn't do the directly unless you are aware of user
demand, meaning the XML is not good for certain cases.