activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Clebert Suconic <clebert.suco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move Apache.NMS project to Git
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2017 00:31:34 GMT
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Jim Gomes <jgomes@apache.org> wrote:
> As well as call a vote. A Discussion is only a discussion. It takes a Vote
> to enable action.

I really didn't think it would be needed.. you are the only one
against it so far. I think we are have votes on this thread.. do you
need it to be formal?

> And as far as my technical concerns go, perhaps someone more experienced
> with Git can help me solve them.  They are:
>
> 1. I am unable to have multiple branches checked out on the machine at the
> same time, which stops me from building all versions.  This is especially
> apparent when I want to build Apache.NMS trunk, and then build its
> dependencies Apache.NMS.ActiveMQ, Apache.NMS.EMS, Apache.NMS.STOMP, etc.
> How can I have all of these branches checked out at the same time if they
> are all in the same Git repository? Am I going to be forced to have
> separate Git repositories for each of those projects? Am I going to have to
> script my builds to switch branches in the middle of a hierarchical build?
> If so, that is extremely cumbersome, and not a solution I would want to go
> with.

cp -r original-directory new-directory
cd .. new-directory
git checokut your-other-branch

problem solved!

> 2. My entire build process is built around the automatic incrementing
> revision of Subversion (i.e., when a file is checked in, the repository
> revision number automatically increments sequentially). I use that
> automatic revision as part of the build numbers when I compile, which gives
> me completely reproducible builds.  For example, I compile a project as
the Subversion
> repository auto-generated sequential number.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions on how to accomplish a similar reproducible build using Git?

you don't need really need that, you can use the Hash as the version
ID if you require the git.

You just increment the version as everybody else does.

> So, these are my technical issues with switching to Git.  It's not a matter
> of personal preference. So, if I can come up with solutions to these two
> items, I would have no reservations to switching to Git.  Any help is
> appreciated.

It's just a matter of you getting used with git.