activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Gomes <jgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move Apache.NMS project to Git
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2017 00:09:15 GMT
As well as call a vote. A Discussion is only a discussion. It takes a Vote
to enable action.

And as far as my technical concerns go, perhaps someone more experienced
with Git can help me solve them.  They are:

1. I am unable to have multiple branches checked out on the machine at the
same time, which stops me from building all versions.  This is especially
apparent when I want to build Apache.NMS trunk, and then build its
dependencies Apache.NMS.ActiveMQ, Apache.NMS.EMS, Apache.NMS.STOMP, etc.
How can I have all of these branches checked out at the same time if they
are all in the same Git repository? Am I going to be forced to have
separate Git repositories for each of those projects? Am I going to have to
script my builds to switch branches in the middle of a hierarchical build?
If so, that is extremely cumbersome, and not a solution I would want to go
with.

2. My entire build process is built around the automatic incrementing
revision of Subversion (i.e., when a file is checked in, the repository
revision number automatically increments sequentially). I use that
automatic revision as part of the build numbers when I compile, which gives
me completely reproducible builds.  For example, I compile a project as
repository auto-generated sequential number.  Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to accomplish a similar reproducible build using Git?

So, these are my technical issues with switching to Git.  It's not a matter
of personal preference. So, if I can come up with solutions to these two
items, I would have no reservations to switching to Git.  Any help is
appreciated.