activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Move camel-activemq component to camel project and deprecate camel plugin for broker
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2017 10:07:50 GMT
On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Claus Ibsen <claus.ibsen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 11:38 AM, Christian Schneider
> <chris@die-schneider.net> wrote:
>> There are some issues supporting the new camel version 2.18.x in activemq.
>> See
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-6585
>>

> I think this ticket surfaces a problem in ActiveMQ about its OSGi
> code/stuff being problematic. That its xbean stuff is causing more
> pain than good. I wonder if ActiveMQ should consider a different
> approach for those xml file configurations to work without xbean or
> make it work for OSGi.
>

> Moving activemq-camel to Apache Camel moves the dependency problem to
> Camel. However as Camel uses ActiveMQ for testing camel-jms we already
> use AMQ, so it may be less of a problem there.
>
> Also it allows activme-camel to be released together with Camel and
> benefit from new functionality from Camel being released together.
>
> And we could potentially make activemq-camel (to be renamed to
> camel-activemq) just reuse all the unit tests from camel-jms so we
> dont have to write any tests and just let it be an optimized camel-jms
> component which it really is.
>

>> In the issue we discussed that it would be better to have the activemq camel
>> component in the camel project. There is also the question about the camel
>> plugin for the broker. I do not know any users who use camel inside the
>> activemq broker. So the proposal here is to deprecate and remove the plugin
>> at some point.
>>

> There are some community users that uses the Camel broker component.
> I dont yet think it should be deprecated. It allows functionality that
> there is not in ActiveMQ.
> And ActiveMQ ships with Camel and Camel and AMQ together is a great combination.
>

>> If both are removed from activemq source then managing the dependencies is a
>> lot easier.
>>

> I frankly think its the OSGi pain that is causing this. If AMQ just
> works on OSGi then this wouldn't be a problem in the first place.
>
> -0 to broker (need more feedback from community and others)

For the broker component you can likely just use a Camel XML file and
use Camel routes to do the same as the broker component can do.

And there hasn't been too many users of it so far, but a few have been
doing so. And if they can migrate to using plain Camel routes then it
makes sense to deprecate it too.

So let me change to +1

> +1 to activemq-camel (however need to see how bad/good this is and
> allow to revert the decision if it causes to much pain)
>

>> What do you think?
>>
>> Christian
>>

>> --
>> Christian Schneider