activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Shannon <christopher.l.shan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move Apache.NMS project to Git
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2017 15:13:24 GMT
Jim,

I think you can accomplish both goals you are looking to achieve.

First, correct me if I am wrong but if I understand correctly, are you
saying you just want to be able to check out parts of a repo multiple times
(to have multiple branches checked out at the same time)? If so, Git lets
you do a sparse checkout so you should be able to clone the repo multiple
times but only check out certain subprojects if you want.
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-read-tree .  So if you wanted to just check
out 3 different versions you could clone the repository 3 separate times
but do a sparse checkout to only grab certain subdirectories to save space.

Second, as far as generating unique builds I think you could accomplish
this by using "lightweight tags".  A lightweight tag in git simply is a
pointer to a specifc commit and would conceptually be very similar to
assigning it a unique number based on an SVN commit.  There's almost no
overhead to creating a lightweight tag in git, it just stores the commit
checksum.  https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Tagging  Creating a
lightweight tag for every build could be automated and would allow you to

Chris