activemq-dev mailing list archives

From nigro_franz <nigro....@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Separate project 4 (micro)benchmarks
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2017 11:45:22 GMT
Hi guys!

In the last months I've produced a lot of different tests and
microbenchmarks (using  JMH
<http://openjdk.java.net/projects/code-tools/jmh/>   to do not get cheated
by the JVM) to measure in isolation the Journal performances, garbage
production of the Artemis's queues, encoding/decoding latencies, Netty's
connector scaling...and I've noticed how it was really hard to find out the
proper place where to put them without creating chaos and leaving on the
Artemis project's tree a lot of "hybrid" module that mix what is necessary
for the broker to work and what is something that exist solely to measure
how much is performant in any of its parts...
I suspect that the more Artemis will grow, the more there will be the need
to have a well-structured (for the purpose) standalone project that uses and
refers any single parts of Artemis that need to be benchmarked in isolation.
This will improve the Artemis quality codebase; finally free from
ever-growing code (& dependencies) that doesn't provide or test anything and
the quality of the benchmarks too, that wouldn't be executed anymore "by
hand" (producing unreliable results!) but with proper tools and environment.
What do you think?

P.S: I vote for JMH!!!!