activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Pavlovich <mattr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis plugins ARTEMIS-898
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2016 22:29:22 GMT
On 12/20/16 4:14 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Matt Pavlovich <mattrpav@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not trying to focus on the impl. My goal was to share how users are able
> ...configure advisories based on a group of destinations....
>

> That to me is very, very specific to ActiveMQ5....
> I am not sure you really need that on Artemis, do you?
Yep, its useful. IBM MQ can do the same on a per-destination basis. The
benefit ActiveMQ 5.x has over IBM MQ is that you can apply a
configuration based on a destination filter vs having to configure each
queue individually.

>   and that there is a
>> gap in Artemis from a functionality perspective.
>>
>> Three different things:
>>
>> 1. The gap of specific Advisories/Notifications in Artemis v ActiveMQ 5
>>
>> 2. How Advisories/Notifications are implemented in Artemis plugin vs core
>> feature.
>>
>> 3. How Advisories/Notifications are configured in Artemis
> That will be a different API, but that's totally possible to receive
> notifications:
>
> http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/1.5.1/management.html
>
> Instead of bringing a new API (Advisory) we could/should look at what
> notifications are missing and implement them.
Yeah, I'm not married to a specific implementation. This management
notification piece is new info to me. I was under the impression that
Advisories of some sort (notifications in Artemis) were at 0%
implemented. I need to dig into this some more.

> There are a lot of cool *totally* new things I think we should/could
> work on. for instance I'm trying to improve / fix message encoding
> between different protocols (only re-encode a message when needed),
> and making GC closer to zero by always reusing buffers... That will be
> a killing feature... I'm not posting a DISCUSS about that yet as I'm
> still battling over the code and how I am going to work on that. I
> will post about it after my holiday's break.
+10000 eliminating memory copy of payload is super valuable

I didn't mean to sidetrack the Plugins discussion to
Advisory/Notification.. now back to the plugins discussion ...