activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Martyn Taylor <mtay...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Temporary Branch for ARTEMIS-780
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:26:01 GMT
Hi John,

Apologies for not getting to this sooner, I have taken some time out to
write up more background , problems and what the proposal is.  I'll add it
to the JIRA as soon as I'm done.  The crux of this change is adding the
ability to define various destination types / behaviours (things like being
able to define a non shared subscription queue for example) in a single
unified way in core vs on a per protocol basis (like with JMS).  The fact
that adding common behaviours like simple pub/sub in the protocol modules,
and having no way (other than JMS which has it's own issues) to allow a
user to define a pub/sub endpoint has been a real issue.

This would also involve moving the current JMS way of doing things, to the
new model.  And is actually the main bulk of the work.  As It turns out.
the current JMSisms have leaked into many areas of the core engine and
other protocols, trying to remove it has been a pain.  I already had an
idea that this would be the case, hence the branch., but turned out to be a
lot more that I had expected

Re: Your use case, just to assure you, the idea is not to remove any of the
existing core concepts, everything you can do now, you'll continue to be
able to do after the change.  There might be some slight configuration
changes in the new scheme to expose new functionality and move away from
the specific JMS stuff, but I'm going to provide a tool for migrating
configurations (the changes aren't big, just the exposing of the new
addressing model and removal of the JMS specifics).

I look forward to talking to you more on the JIRA.  I also like to hear use
cases from Artemis users :) so I'd be interested to hearing more about what
your doing.  It might be that these changes make things a bit easier for
you.

Cheers
Martyn