activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Martyn Taylor <mtay...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Reservation Based Rest API for Artemis
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2016 21:19:54 GMT
The Artemis REST API is already an independent service that layers on top
of  JMS.  If we're adding this API to the REST module it'd be independent

That said... this could be done as a protocol module (the protocol modules
are pluggable) when deployed it'd then be managed by the broker. Just like
AMQP or any other protocol. The benefit of doing it this way is that you'd
have more fine grained control via the internal CORE API.  Also means you
can plug in to the security layer etc...  it does mean starting from
scratch though...

On 10 Nov 2016 21:01, "Matt Pavlovich" <mattrpav@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do you see the service layering on top of Artemis?  A fully
independent service with a "seen message id" repository, or a subscription
recovery-style policy within the broker with a REST service on top?

> On 11/9/16 11:54 AM, John D. Ament wrote:

>> All,
>>
>> One thing I see come up quite often when looking at cloud based messaging
>> systems is the concept of a reservation (there's a couple of terms out
>> there, reservation seems to describe it best).  The reservation acts like
>> this:
>>
>> - Client polls for messages and get some number of messages back.
>> - When a client polls again, those messages are not returned for some
>> duration since it read them.
>> - The messages are not auto-acknowledged.
>> - A second API is invoked indicating that the client has acknowledged
that
>> message, typically using some message id or reservation id.
>> - If after some duration, a message was not acknowledged, it becomes
>> eligible for reception again.
>>
>> I'd like to add this type of capability to the REST API for Artemis.
What