activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Bertram <jbert...@apache.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis coding style part 2
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2016 19:12:32 GMT
All things being equal I've got no problem with that change.

Assuming this change is ratified my only concern would be with the timing (e.g. minor vs.
major version).  Changes like this can make things more difficult to back-port upstream fixes
to older branches (unless there's some git magic I'm unaware of).

Justin

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Shannon" <christopher.l.shannon@gmail.com>
To: dev@activemq.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 1:41:28 PM
Subject: [DISCUSS] Artemis coding style part 2

Hey Everyone,

Last year we had a discussion on the coding style for Artemis and a change
was made to the opening curly brace.  However, I've been in the code quite
a bit the past couple weeks doing testing (I am starting to look at what
needs to be done to help move missing features from 5.x) and I've noticed a
couple of things that still don't match up with the 5.x style.

In general I think think we should try and get the style closer to 5.x
because it will make going back and forth between to two code bases easier.
  The main thing I noticed is the while the opening brace was moved the
closing curly brace is still on its own line which doesn't match the style
of 5.x. This makes it a bit annoying when working in one project and then
doing work in a different project as suddenly you have to remember where
the curly brace is supposed to go.

For example:

Current format:
    try {
            //do something
     }
     catch (Exception cause) {

      }

Proposed format, notice that the catch(Exception) part is on the same line
as the closing brace
    try {
            //do something
     } catch (Exception cause) {

     }

Thoughts? My preference would be to adopt entire google style guide but I
think at the least should fix the closing curly brace so it matches up with
5.x.