activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Victor <victor.rom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contributing to the Apache Docker Account
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2016 23:16:55 GMT
Dear devs,

I'm afraid I cannot create a good enough docker image as two constraints
clash:

- Cannot use a different repository (as per John's)
- Should have a proper docker specific README.md file in the docker hub
page (as per my personal preference).

This won't change unless, the issue 292
<https://github.com/docker/hub-feedback/issues/292> in docker hub gets
fixed.

I'll keep an eye on the issue in case it gets fixed (feb 18 they wrote
<https://github.com/docker/hub-feedback/issues/292#issuecomment-185811039>: *We
have a plan in place and will provide an update as soon as we can*) , and
will keep maintaining my personal docker image.

Regards

> [...]
>>
>> John
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 1:30 AM Victor <victor.romero@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> You mentioned building SNAPSHOTs and it sounds great to me. The problem
>>> is that one does not just curl the latest version of a SNAPSHOT. There are
>>> many rolling versions
>>> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.4.0-SNAPSHOT>
>>> .
>>>
>>> Also SNAPSHOTs would generate an interesting scenario when releasing
>>> versions, as the docker file for a snapshot would be different than the
>>> dockerfile of a RELEASE. Therefor, someone (I can do it if necessary) has
>>> to make sure the Dockerfile is updated accordingly by taking the dockerfile
>>> from the latest release version (or uncomment code perhaps). Therefor I'd
>>> discard the obvious workarounds (see below two examples):
>>>
>>>    - Curlling the maven metadata
>>>    <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.4.0-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml>
>>>    of the SNAPSHOT, and with xmlstarlet extract the latest version.
>>>    - Using the nexus api
>>>    <https://repository.apache.org/service/local/artifact/maven/redirect?r=snapshots&g=org.apache.activemq&a=apache-artemis&v=LATEST>
>>>    (although I haven been able to make it work, but just spent 10m). Tied to
>>>    an specific maven repo software. Unclear to me how to validate
>>>
>>> Even if we forget about the SNAPSHOTS, there has to be a clear release
>>> mechanism if the dockerfile lives inside of the main repo. Because it does
>>> download releases versions from an external site (not from the reactor) and
>>> validates against a manually given signature.
>>>
>>> The approaches I see are:
>>>
>>>    1. Non automatic dockerhub build. Build and upload to dockerhub
>>>    using a maven plugin. Would ease maintenance. Users of dockerhub prefer
>>>    automatic builds, but overall it would be great experience both for users
>>>    and developers. Would probably make
>>>    2.  Automatic dockerhub build that actually builds Artemis in
>>>    dockerhub (skipping tests). The image that is meant to be as small as
>>>    possible, it will likely have some leftovers, probably not to many if done
>>>    carefully. This is the same approach marmotta
>>>    <https://github.com/apache/marmotta/blob/develop/Dockerfile> uses.
>>>    3. Use a different repo just as it is right now and ignore
>>>    SNAPSHOTS. Proven to work and I'd say 99% of the dockerhub projects work
>>>    like that.
>>>
>>> 3 is the current path but I'll discard it for one single reason: no
>>> other apache project seems to follow it.
>>>
>>> Personally I don't want to go through the 1 route, as it would require
>>> the apache dockerhub credentials to be store in the apache CI. And I'm sure
>>> someone, somewhere would have problems with that. Otherwise is a perfectly
>>> valid approach.
>>>
>>> So unless you have any other idea, I'd go for the option 2 as soon as I

it build based on the code
 I can setup a build

in your image, but if you
partof our build.

Account

I have no idea who
controls access to the ASF account at

<

Snyder <bsnyder@apache.org>:

> [...]
with his request to contribute
at Docker Hub? It looks like you were the last
who has knowledge of the ASF account at

help Victor get his Docker
can be listed under the ASF account at Docker

----------
PM
the Apache Docker Account

ActiveMQ, the best person to
the ActiveMQ PMC Chair.

current PMC Chair.

the project's Contributing

Foundation.

PM, Victor <

 an Apache Artemis docker image
request, 1 stackoverflow and no complains).
with the Apache Artemis team and it seems to be a
the few that replied the thread
be in the Apache docker user.

no specific Apache contact
why I'm writting you.

for someone to ask for any
artifacts that might be required. I already signed
I'm looking for things like special
a given repo, etc.

"\@0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)S;GED9

);'