activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Clebert Suconic <clebert.suco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contributing to the Apache Docker Account
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2016 15:03:40 GMT
The way I always wanted this was to have the CLI doing it:

./artemis -docker-create (parameters...)

But I always told that this doesn't make sense in the docker world.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 7:16 PM, Victor <victor.romero@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> clash:
>
> - Cannot use a different repository (as per John's)
> - Should have a proper docker specific README.md file in the docker hub
> page (as per my personal preference).
>
> This won't change unless, the issue 292
> <https://github.com/docker/hub-feedback/issues/292> in docker hub gets
> fixed.
>
> I'll keep an eye on the issue in case it gets fixed (feb 18 they wrote
> <https://github.com/docker/hub-feedback/issues/292#issuecomment-185811039>: *We
> have a plan in place and will provide an update as soon as we can*) , and
> will keep maintaining my personal docker image.
>
> Regards

>> Hi John, devs
>>
>> I hear your expectations and I'm following option two, the thrift/marmotta
>> approach for that reason.
>>
>> There is some maintenance I'd like to happen to avoid ending up with
>> images like thrift, that only has *latest
>> <https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/thrift/tags/> *and not one tag per each
>> version as I'd like it to have. I can update RELEASING.md
>> <https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/blob/master/RELEASING.md> in
>> the same PR with some very short instructions on how to change the version
>> in the Dockerfile (very simple) on every release.
>>
>> The whole *latest is meant to be SNAPSHOT* is an open and broader
>> discussion. But if the greater apache, as it seems, consider latest is a
>> non repeatable SNAPSHOT build, I'm happy with it.
>>
>> Regards

>>> Hey Victor,
>>>
>>> To clarify.  I'm expecting that a build of artemis results in the
>>> creation (and publishing) of a docker container.  This container represents
>>> the underlying build artifact.  This is known as the "latest" in docker.
>>> When doing a release, i expect something similar.
>>>
>>> The ASF only does automatic docker builds.  Not manual.  Based on input I
>>> got from our infra, its never a separate repo, always in the same repo.
>>> Granted we don't have a ton of examples yet, but that seems to be the go-to
>>> (and realistically represents a true CI/CD pattern for completely running
>>> apps like this).
>>>
>>> The actual creation of the container is a separate step in jenkins.  So
>>> once the current dockerfile is donated, pointing to a different location
>>> for the binary, I can carry out the steps w/ infra to setup the docker
>>> builds.  There shouldn't be a reason to point to a remote location for the
>>> binary as a result, it'll all be local to the workspace.  I'll probably
>>> need to setup some kind of job to build releases, but shouldn't be a big
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> You can find a few examples out on our ASF hub page -
>>> https://hub.docker.com/u/apache/.  Thrift is the most curious one from
>>> my POV.  It actually builds thrift on the image, and uses an entry point to
>>> allow extension (e.g. execution of thrift).
>>>
>>> Also apologies, I missed that this fell off the dev list.

BTW yes I'm in

to raise a PR to contribute
repo.  I can setup a build

<

bring in your image, but if you
as a partof our build.

Account
<dev@activemq.apache.org>

<bruce.snyder@gmail.com>

So I have no idea who
who controls access to the ASF account at

Victor <

appreciated.

Snyder <bsnyder@apache.org>:

> [...]
with his request to contribute
at Docker Hub? It looks like you were the last
request who has knowledge of the ASF account at

can help Victor get his Docker
it can be listed under the ASF account at Docker

----------
5:52 PM
to the Apache Docker Account

of ActiveMQ, the best person to
is the ActiveMQ PMC Chair.

the current PMC Chair.

to the project's Contributing

Foundation.

PM, Victor <
wrote:

> [...]
have  an Apache Artemis docker image
pull request, 1 stackoverflow and no complains).
it with the Apache Artemis team and it seems to be a
the few that replied the thread
should be in the Apache docker user.

to be no specific Apache contact
is why I'm writting you.

for someone to ask for any
and artifacts that might be required. I already signed
I'm looking for things like special
to a given repo, etc.

"\@0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)S;GED9

);'