activemq-dev mailing list archives

From jim_b_o <ja...@inaseq.com>
Subject Re: Artemis use of PhantomReference impacting GC performance
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2016 18:35:26 GMT
The GC pause times are a very important metric for our app and I'm sure for
many others.  Our system is latency critical and delays cost money.  GC
pauses are totally concrete.  Events are being processed all the time (2
main types: one type handled in 60-70 microseconds, other type in 2-3
milliseconds) and throwing a GC pause into the middle of that processing
used to add another 10-12 milliseconds but now adds 16-20 milliseconds.

Fortunately we are not burning memory too quickly so the GCs aren't
frequent.  But load is sufficient that most times one occurs it will be
impacting one or more events.  The impact on average latency is negligible
but the financial cost of additional latency on select events is not.