activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Gale <paul.n.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion for improvement on ActiveMQ socket buffer sizing.
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2016 17:56:02 GMT
Hi,

I would like to get some feedback on an idea I have for an improvement to
ActiveMQ.

Currently ActiveMQ programmatically sizes the receive and send socket
buffer sizes for the TCP transport according to the transport connector
option transport.SocketBufferSize. The default is 64K.

On Linux, however, once an application explicitly sets the size of a
socket's buffers (via a call to setsockopt) the automatic tuning (owing to
prevailing conditions) of a socket's buffers sizes is disabled.

Therefore I am proposing the inclusion of a Boolean flag on the transport
connector to disable explicit socket buffer sizing by the broker. The
default would be false for backward compatibility.

When this flag is true the kernel parameters net.ipv4.tcp_rmem and
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem would govern how each socket's buffers would be
dynamically sized at run-time.

​Thoughts?​

​I am happy to create a JIRA ticket for it and supply the relevant patch​
​ if the community approves.
​

Thanks,
Paul