activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2015 07:45:44 GMT
On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 1:03 AM, Clebert Suconic
<clebert.suconic@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also the output of the help command in the html looks ugly. Its not
>> spaced correctly.
>
> I'm not sure where you mean that?

Open the readme.html in your browser. And then compare that to the
--help output from the CLI. At least in my browser the formatting in
the readme.html is not presented nicely.

eg remember this is about first impression, new users is likely to
open the readme as the 1st thing.

>> And its a bit unclear that after creating a broker you must cd into
>> that directory to start it. eg some people may think you can start the
>> broker from the unzip like you can do in Apache ActiveMQ. I would like
>> to see the readme more clear on this. Maybe a better step by step
>> showing the commands and output etc so its really clear.
>
> +1
>

>> Also why not use a .md file instead of .html ?
>
> I'm confused what's best here. .html are easy to read (thinking of
> beginners just downloading the distro). pehaps we could switch to .md
> and have a converter tool? (although I wouldn't know which one to use
> from maven).
>

>> In JMX the broker is listed as brokerName="0.0.0.0" but I was not
>> given any opportunity to name the broker when I created it from the
>> command line.
>
> the cli will only ask for the host if needed (that is if you're using
> clustered). otherwise you can use options (use ./artemis help create
> for that).
>

>> And I cannot see the broker name in the log when the broker start up.
>> That name should IMHO be allowed to enter when creating, and maybe
>> default to the directory name or something? And show the name in the
>> log.
>

> That's used for the JMX only.

Its still a part of naming the broker. IMHO you should not hide that
fact. People should be able to see from the logs what the name would
be in JMX so they are sure they find the correct broker.

Now its also seldom to use 2+ message brokers in the same JVM. Not
sure that is really best practice.

Since the broker name is "dynamic" then it makes tooling harder to
predict the mbean name tree. As 99,9% uses 1 broker in the JVM why not
have it default as before. And then if you really want 2+ then you
need to enable configure the managementBrokerName to make them unique
in that tree.

>> Also I would like to be abel to easily enable jolokia out of the box.
>> Apache ActiveMQ has that, but Artemis does not.
>
> It doest.. it's part of the web interface.

If Jolokia is enabled then please log the jolokia url in the logs when
you start up. See how we do that in ActiveMQ.

I can find some details in the user guide
http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/1.1.0/management.html

And btw there is typo in the docs -

 example to query thebrokers version

-->

there is no space between thebrokers

>> The web console is likely a bit disappointment, its just the
>> documentation. People in 2015 would expect a management console. So
>> maybe point that out in the docs that there is none (yet).
>
> +1
>

>> When you create a queue its logged at INFO level and the message is
>> not with a capital letter, eg trying -> Trying
>>

> +1 I was so used to this message that I never though about that.
>
>> And when the broker shutdown, I would like to see an INFO logging that
>> says the uptime of the broker. See how we do that in ActiveMQ.
>

> +1 Nice feature.
>

>> Also IMHO you should log at INFO level when the broker is being
>> shutdown, so the user can see from exactly in the log when the
>> shutdown starts, in case there is problems during so.
>>
>> eg as shown above where I started ActiveMQ in the foreground, and then
>> hit CTRL+C (eg ^C).
>>

> I will open the JIRAs for these on monday. (Or maybe commit those if
> it's an easy fix).
>

> I don't see a reason to withdraw the release based on your feedback.
> Great stuff but I don't see a need to hold it (hence your +1 already)

Yes its a +1 - great to see a new release out.

--
Claus Ibsen