activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2015 17:44:04 GMT

> On Dec 21, 2015, at 12:27 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:16 PM Clebert Suconic <clebert.suconic@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This has been like this since 1.0.0
>>

> Then I missed them in prior votes.  Mea culpa.

We all missed them on the prior releases.

>> I don't want to require users to install cmake and make just to
>> compile this small library. it should be an optional step for those
>> who want to do it.
>>

> Nothing's stopping you from including them in the binary release.  They
> should be excluded in the source release.

Actually, this is more serious than that.  If I’m reading correctly, libaio is LGPL.  Thus,
we cannot use it from an Apache release unless its:

1) completely optional - Artemis would have to “functionally work” without it

2) Not be part of the default build - in our case, we’d need  a maven profile to build it
and that profile would need to not be activeByDefault.

Thus, I think this release cannot be released as is.

--
Daniel Kulp