activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Martyn Taylor <mtay...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0
Date Thu, 24 Dec 2015 11:15:17 GMT
I do not see what the issue is here.  We are not *distributing* any LGPL
licensed library.  We simply use it, if it is available. As Hiram said,
how does this differ from relying on bash or win32?

To quote the legal docs: http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

""
CAN APACHE PROJECTS RELY ON COMPONENTS UNDER PROHIBITED LICENSES?¶
<http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#prohibited>

Apache projects cannot distribute any such components. As with the
previous question on platforms, the component can be relied on if the
component's licence terms do not affect the Apache product's licensing.
For example, using a GPL'ed tool during the build is OK.
""

I'd prefer not to require a CLI option that requires a user to
proactively enable the use of libaio.  The ASYNCIO journal is what we
recommend, and one of the main reasons we get such good performance on
persisted messages, for this reason it should be default.  I agree with
Hiram in that changing the defaults would hinder user experience, as the
default configuration is now considerably slower.  Out of the box
configuration should in my opinion be as close to optimum as we can.
Having a user read the documentation, understand what ASYNCIO is, what
benefits it has and then make a decision to enable it, is more effort.

Rather than go around in circles arguing whether this is against
licensing policy or not, I will fire an email to legal now and get a
definitive answer.

Regards
Martyn

On 23/12/15 21:12, Hiram Chirino wrote:
> I think the binary distro uses the libaio.so if it's installed in your
> system.  Since it's optional, the broker should still start up fine
> even if libaio is not installed, but it wont get used either.
>
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
>> Question: If I grab Artemis 1.1.0 tarbal/zip and start up the broker “out of the
box”, does it use libaio or not?  If I specifically have to configure something (pass a
flag, edit a config file, etc…) to enable use if the LGPL library, then fine.    However,
if it’s something that occurs completely automatically without the user even knowing that
it’s occurring, then I have a major problem with it.  It needs to be something that the
user has to explicitly CHOOSE to use.