activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis Coding Style
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2015 17:03:54 GMT
On 4 August 2015 at 12:56, Christopher Shannon
<christopher.l.shannon@gmail.com> wrote:
> So in general I'm not too picky with coding styles but I just started
> looking at the Artemis project a few days ago and something that stood out
> to me right away was the use of opening curly braces on a new line.
>
> Virtually ever Java code base I've seen is written in the style using the
> opening brace on the same line. (See
> http://google.github.io/styleguide/javaguide.html#s4.1.2-blocks-k-r-style)
>  I think that in general it would be a good idea to match up to a style
> that most Java developers are used to working with if we want to get more
> of the community involved.
>
> I was wondering if anyone would have an issue with changing the style or
> what people's thoughts are about this potential change?

Making all of the code more consistent seems like a good idea to aid
approachability, so it seems like a good idea to me. I do work on
codebases that use a newline for the braces, but most new stuff I
write has them on the same line. I've tended to prefer them being on
the new line in the past as I think its slightly easier to read
overall, but its defintiely quite verbose at times. I am coming to
like the same line approach the more I use it though, and it does seem
to be the norm.

Robbie