activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Schöchlin ...@256bit.org>
Subject Re: Please review: Unix Init Script Improvements - strange options "export" and "create"
Date Sat, 25 Jul 2015 15:57:14 GMT
Hi,

Am 07.07.2015 um 23:51 schrieb artnaseef:
> One thought here.  There's a lot of complexity and functionality in the
> existing scripts.
>
> Perhaps it would make sense to start a new set of smaller scripts that are
> more focused on individual tasks.  If we want to have a master script so the
> command-name is the same across multiple functions, that would be easy
> enough to do.
>
> One concern here is breaking backward compatibility and ease-of-upgrade for
> users.  The 5.11.1 script updates (maybe earlier?) did make at least one
> non-backward-compatible change.
>
> I have a lot of thoughts on the scripts (I was a Unix & C dev longer than
> I've been a Java dev).  Let's chat on IRC if you're interested.
My intend for writing a central script some years ago was:

  * make the script more intelligent
  * provide a single interface for all tasks
  * prevent duplication of shellscript code
  * improve usability from users point of view

I think the current implementation is ok from user-view - but i think the logic is a too complex.
Probably many aspects of the script would be better to be part of the java implementation.....

Regards
Marc

--
GPG encryption available: 0x670DCBEC/pool.sks-keyservers.net