activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Clebert Suconic <clebert.suco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Artemis and Eclipse...
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2015 22:47:00 GMT
True,

although I think it makes sense to fix the javadoc stuff anyways to
not require that setting

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Hiram Chirino <hiram@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> I would not recommend exerting too much effort in maintaining Java 7
> support since Java 7 is EOL.  The only type of lib I would say should
> keep old Java support for is client libs.  There are some platforms
> out there that don't rev that quickly (stuff like GWT, Android, etc).
> Would it makes sense to keep clients libs in builds outside of
> Artemis?
>
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Clebert Suconic
> <clebert.suconic@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The first try was using profiles but it was kind of messy. This was
>> done very closely to the releases and I didn't have time to evaluate
>> any other options back then.
>>
>> If all we need is to fix javadoc, I would say we fix javadoc and
>> remove the java8 dependency (at least for now). I'm not sure yet how
>> difficult that would be though
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemmell@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Do you mean the -Xdoclint:none option? Javadoc is stricter with Java8
>>> and will refuse to process things that 'worked' with Java7. You can
>>> make it lenient again using the -Xdoclint config option, but that only
>>> works when using Java8 and so setting it then makes javadoc processing
>>> fail when building on Java7 since it doesnt understand the new config
>>> option.
>>>
>>> When I first hit this elsewhere I just updated all the javadoc to
>>> remove the errors seen using Java8, allowing things to work on 7 or 8
>>> without disabling doclint. You could possibly use profiles to apply
>>> the config selectively.
>>>
>>> Robbie

into Eclipse without any errors for all the non-example things.    I haven’t attempted the
examples yet.

is used for the source/target.   Thus, Eclipse will pick up the Java7 runtime.  It seems to
work OK so I’m kind of wondering why we require Java8 to build.  Maybe in the examples someplace?

at all as there is no way it would ever be triggered.   I think the ibmjdk profile in there
is irrelevant as well? (seems to reference things about differences between 1.5 and 1.6)