activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <tabish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git workflow for committers
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2015 00:44:00 GMT
On 06/09/2015 08:22 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> I guess if it was up to me to actually write a formal doc describing the process it would
go something like:

> ———————
>
> ActiveMQ uses a Commit-Then-Review process for getting changes contributed to the development
branches.   In general, this means the ActiveMQ committers are free to directly commit their
own work to master and push those changes to the canonical repository at Apache.   However,
the expectation is that the developer has made a good effort to test their changes and is
reasonably confident that the changes that are being committed will not “break the build.”

> What does it mean to be reasonably confident?  That may depend on the developer.  If
the developer has run the same maven commands that the CI builds are running, they can likely
be reasonably confident.   However, if the changes are significant, touches a wide area of
code, or even if the developer just wants a second opinion, they are encouraged to engage
other members of the community to obtain an additional review prior to commit.   This can
easily be done via a pull request on github, a patch file attached to an email or JIRA, committed
to a branch in the Apache git repo, etc…  There are a variety of options open to them.
  Having additional eyes looking at significant changes prior to committing to the main development
branches is definitely encouraged if it helps obtain the “reasonable confidence” that
the build is not broken and code quality has not decreased.  We also have automatic builds
setup to test github pull requests in advance to help establish a good level of confidence
in the build.

> However, “things happen”.   We’re all human.   In the case where the build does
break, the expectation is that the developer will make a best effort to get the builds fixed
in a reasonable amount of time.    If it cannot be fixed in a reasonable amount of time, the
commit can be reverted and re-reviewed.

> ———————
>
> Everyone:  does that about cover it?    Did I miss anything?    The github pull requests
and gui tools are definitely a good tool chain in certain cases and I would still encourage
those folks that find value in them to continue using them.   However, they cannot be “required”.

> Dan

I think that captures it quite nicely, thanks Dan!

--
Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.