activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Taylor <andy.tayl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git workflow for committers
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2015 13:49:43 GMT
I don't think committers should push direct to master, Its important to
be consistent between non committers and committers so the graph is
always the same, not moving from merge commits to linear commits.

Yes it may take a little more time at first having another committer
review your code and then doing the merge but it will cut down on a lot
of bugs and vastly improve the code which is a good thing. Also
capturing the information as to who merged the commit is also important.

https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/blob/master/docs/hacking-guide/en/code.md#typical-development-cycle

>> Improvements are certainly welcome.
>
> I think this is ok for workflow for non-committers.  Nice to have that documented.
Committers should not have to go through github.

> In particular: step 4 can just be push your branch to a new branch at Apache.  There
isn’t a need for github for that
> Step 5:  if you push to Apache in step 4, all the commits would be on the Apache commits
list and would be fine for discussion from there.
> Step 7:  if you are a committer, just push it to master.  There is no need for the pull
requests from github.

> Dan
>

>> Justin
>>
>> P.S. I already sent a PR to get the references to the old JIRA repo (i.e. ACTIVEMQ6)
updated to the new one (i.e. ARTEMIS).