activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Bertram <jbert...@apache.com>
Subject Re: Git workflow for committers
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2015 16:17:04 GMT
Daniel, is there a document that outlines the current ActiveMQ development work-flow (especially
with git in mind)?  My impression from Bruce's original email on this thread is that there
wasn't, but I certainly could be wrong.

Also, all the PR emails/comments go to the dev-list so I don't think there's any problem there.

Justin

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Kulp" <dkulp@apache.org>
To: dev@activemq.apache.org
Sent: Monday, June 8, 2015 11:01:45 AM
Subject: Re: Git workflow for committers

Apache ActiveMQ has always been “Commit then Review”.    This workflow completely changes
that and if you want to start the whole argument about an external project subsuming the processes
that are currently in place for THIS project, feel free.   It likely won’t go well.

Second, a rule at Apache is if it didn’t appear on our lists, it’s not done.   Thus, anything
NOT pushed to Apache hasn’t happened.   There isn’t anything to discuss.   Anything you
do in your personal github fork is irrelevant until it appears in the Apache repo and the
appropriate commit messages sent off to the dev list to be reviewed.   That’s exactly why
I said feature branches can be done at Apache.

And your #3 also completely changes how ActiveMQ has worked in the past.   Again, not something
to be taken lightly.  (and something I would vote against)

Dan

> On Jun 8, 2015, at 9:54 AM, Justin Bertram <jbertram@apache.com> wrote:
>
> Daniel, the workflow is essentially what I follow as a committer.  I never push straight
to the master on the official Apache repo.  GitHub offers me a few distinct advantages:

>  1. Automated PR builds.  I could run the PR build locally but then that ties up my machine
when I could be working on something else.
>  2. Chance for discussion *before* the commit is made on the official Apache repo.  If
there's something wrong with the PR then you want to catch it before it's committed, not after.
>  3. Allows someone other than the developer who made the changes to merge the commit.
 This is a rule we follow pretty closely and it should probably be specifically outlined in
the hackng guide.

https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/blob/master/docs/hacking-guide/en/code.md#typical-development-cycle

>> Improvements are certainly welcome.
>
> I think this is ok for workflow for non-committers.  Nice to have that documented.
Committers should not have to go through github.

> In particular: step 4 can just be push your branch to a new branch at Apache.  There
isn’t a need for github for that
> Step 5:  if you push to Apache in step 4, all the commits would be on the Apache commits
list and would be fine for discussion from there.
> Step 7:  if you are a committer, just push it to master.  There is no need for the pull
requests from github.

> Dan
>

>> Justin
>>
>> P.S. I already sent a PR to get the references to the old JIRA repo (i.e. ACTIVEMQ6)
updated to the new one (i.e. ARTEMIS).

Daniel Kulp