activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Clebert Suconic <clebert.suco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Special Board Report
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2015 00:54:01 GMT
On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 8:35 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbarcea@gmail.com> wrote:
> I voted in favour of the code donation. I also voted for the activemq6 name
> back then. The way it was presented back then, read the threads, was that
> hornetq comes with jms 2.0 support, better threading model, we'll take
> what's good there and incorporate it into activemq. The same all is peachy
> message as the current board report.
>
> A few months later, the first activemq 6 release, I personally wasn't that
> interested in yet, still a long way from a production release. Then there
> was -1 vote due to name clashes. I seconded that with a -1 of my own. And
> then everything went haywire, right? I suggested a change of name, read the
> threads, and then the reaction from the Winston/Fuse crowd, which I didn't
> call evil nor conspiracy (although my understanding as of late is that
> everything was planned in a corporation meeting rooms) was very violent. The
> consequence was my recommendation to grow HornetQ in the right place for
> that at the ASF.

Did you actually read the code or the changes made?

It was pretty clear from the beginning this was going to be a
sub-project and we would incorporate changes.. there was a new repo
open, a new JIRA open, new jiras fed...     and 205 Pull requests with
about 400 committs in 4 months...

We incorporated OpenWire, changed how connection factories are
serialized and persisted to be exactly the same as what's done on
ActiveMQ5, the server start was recently changed to be exactly as
what's done on Apollo, Documentation was changed around a lot to be
consistent with Apache brands... etc.. etc.. etc...

Nothing different than what agreed was done...

Nothing was done behind meeting rooms I assure you.. in fact we were
just set to deliver what we agreed as part of the donation, while we
were clearing up the Cat-X dependencies and renames.

It was a mistake was to call it activemq-6.0.0.. as we knew we were
not ready.. it was just the first release..

That has been said a few times already, and you ignore these points.