activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Legacy support for HornetQ
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2015 17:07:25 GMT

It’s one thing to “support” the old keys and another thing entirely to make that the
default and only option for developers to use right now.   If I download the new release from
Apache (having never been a HornetQ user) and start writing apps and such, I SHOULD be using
AMQ* keys and properties, not HQ* keys.   Thus, I think the patch needs to do something like:

private static final SimpleString AMQ_PROPNAME = new SimpleString("_AMQ_”);
@Deprecated
private static final SimpleString HQ_PROPNAME = new SimpleString("_HQ_");

and update the code to handle both at this point with plans to remove the HQ_ stuff at some
point in the future.

Does that make sense?

Dan

> On Apr 14, 2015, at 12:47 PM, Bruce Snyder <bruce.snyder@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm currently at ApacheCon working with Hiram and Clebert and I have
> learned that the HornetQ project is now considered a legacy project -- the
> code is no longer maintained as the open source project HornetQ. The
> expectation is to migrate the HornetQ user base to the ActiveMQ community.
> We (the ActiveMQ community) still need to draft a plan of action for steps
> to take with the HornetQ code donation, and I think that this could be one
> of the things that is identified in that plan to help merge the two
> communities. When combining communities in this manner, the goals of the
> merger cannot be achieved without some level of compromise and I see this
> is as a minor compromise. Therefore, I see no issue with providing backward
> compatibility because it is a minor level of effort and yet it helps to
> provide a migration path for users of HornetQ (the HornetQ community) to
> make use of ActiveMQ <codename>.
>
> Bruce
>

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:30 AM, Tracy Snell <tsnell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACTIVEMQ6-97 <
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACTIVEMQ6-97> in the comments
>> indicates that AMQ6 needs to provide legacy support for HornetQ. This is a
>> surprise to me and I haven’t seen anything where this was mentioned as part
>> of the plan (and it’s entirely possible I just missed it). So I’m just
>> wanting clarification, with the HornetQ donation is ActiveMQ now required
>> to provide legacy support for HornetQ clients?
>>

> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

> Blog: http://bruceblog.org/