activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Tracy Snell <tsn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Special Board Report
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2015 01:24:04 GMT

> On Apr 20, 2015, at 8:54 PM, Clebert Suconic <clebert.suconic@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It was pretty clear from the beginning this was going to be a
> sub-project and we would incorporate changes.. there was a new repo
> open, a new JIRA open, new jiras fed...     and 205 Pull requests with
> about 400 committs in 4 months…

Yes. Almost exclusively done by the HornetQ team (going by the commit logs and the team page
at HornetQ’s website).

> We incorporated OpenWire, changed how connection factories are
> serialized and persisted to be exactly the same as what's done on
> ActiveMQ5, the server start was recently changed to be exactly as
> what's done on Apollo, Documentation was changed around a lot to be
> consistent with Apache brands... etc.. etc.. etc…

All hard work and looks awesome. Impressive effort. What bothers me is the we part. The we
isn’t the ActiveMQ community as a whole, it’s the formerly HornetQ community subset. A
shocking lack of diversity on the people front, not the code front.

I’m still a big fan of things going exactly where you and others want them to. I’m just
not happy with the process so far and the distinct teams working on 5 vs Artemis.

The HornetQ folks have done some awesome work.

> Nothing different than what agreed was done...
>
> Nothing was done behind meeting rooms I assure you.. in fact we were
> just set to deliver what we agreed as part of the donation, while we
> were clearing up the Cat-X dependencies and renames.

Some wonder because there is direct benefit to RedHat in this (not that that’s evil or even
wrong) and everyone seems to pretending there isn’t. Supporting one MQ vs two is a win,
planned or not. RedHat is a company I admire with many employees I consider friends, all of
whom speak highly of the company (I don’t know of any other company with so many happy employees).
So someone can ignore my points and claim I’m just anti RedHat or some other utter bullshit
but it’d be just that.

In the meantime I have to go put my sys admin hat on (and it fits poorly) and bang on my Centos
(Thanks RH!) test servers.