activemq-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS} HornetQ & ActiveMQ's next generation
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2015 16:54:03 GMT
On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> [I see that some of what I put in this email has already been said by
> others, but I'm going to go ahead and send it, because it needs to be
> heard.)
>
> On 03/26/2015 12:02 PM, Hiram Chirino wrote:
>>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> If you take a peek at the source code for the code grant I think
>> you'll notice that all the original HornetQ references have been
>> removed/replaced by ActiveMQ.  So I think we are ok from a TM
>> perspective.
>>

> A much larger concern (at least to me) is not merely the naming, but the
> perception that a completely new codebase has been brought to the project,
> replaced the existing work wholesale, and been called the next version. This
> is how it's been described to me by several different members of the project
> community, and their perception is that this has been done without the
> consent of the community. This is, of course, a fairly serious accusation.

This wholesale code import is interesting to me.
I know this has been beaten to death, but this looks at best like a
subproject, most of the commits seem to be from 4-5 folks; folks who
aren't on the PMC, and who don't have a long history with the project,
and folks who all seem to share a single employer. (And this isn't to
knock them, I am sure they are fine folks, I am more noting the
community dynamics) I hear in other messages, that the 'hornetq
community' is stepping up and getting involved....I am left wondering
why this isn't a distinct project on its own.

--David