activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Raul Kripalani <r...@evosent.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS} HornetQ & ActiveMQ's next generation
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2015 21:40:35 GMT
As an ActiveMQ user and consultant for 7+ years now, I had received the
news of the HornetQ donation quite positively.

AMQ had started to show troubling signs of inactivity. No new exciting
features any longer. Practically no interest in adopting JMS 2.0. In my
head, AMQ had gone into "maintenance mode"  long ago - a fact that's quite
evident if you compare with the vitality of a (somewhat related) community
like Camel.

I confess I have not followed the technical codebase merges, but it did
seem a bit risky to go with v6 for this first release. On a side note, it
doesn't even show seriousness that the v6 wiki page still puts Apollo
forward as core [1].

To me, it feels like a hasty and improvised step. The internals have
changed a great deal, if I'm not mistaken.

Is the community confident enough to go shouting to the world "Hey! This is
our first MAJOR release after 7 years", and have it be a complete success?

Or is the community somewhat making a risky move?

Frankly, given the magnitude of the changes, I would have expected a
timeline of Alpha, Beta and CR releases.  Even if this is not the custom in
this community. Two architectures are being merged, which makes it an
exceptional event. And that deserves exceptional software and release
engineering treatment, if you ask me.

In other words, as an end user, consultant and spokesperson for many
customers, I would expect a series of pre-GA releases with advertisement
and announcements in blogs, online magazines, aggregators, etc. to gather
technical feedback before pushing v6 out the door.

Regards,
Raúl.

[1] http://activemq.apache.org/new-features-in-60.html