activemq-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2015 02:43:14 GMT
It seems to me that a different name would mean a different project.  IIUC AMQ accepted the
code so not having it turn into amq-xxx seems a bit odd to me.

What is stopping all the non-jboss-employees (yes, showing my age here) from enthusiastically
digging into the code and adapting from amq 5 or implementing anew all the missing bits?
My limited understanding is that the amq 5 broker sort of reached a dead end and needed a
rewrite rather than incremental improvement, first Apollo tried to do it in Scala which not
enough people understood, and now there's a new bunch of java code to look at.

It seems to me that one of the roles of the preexisting committers is to help the new ones
learn about apache.  What better way than by pitching in and working on the code together?

wishing I had time to actually contribute rather than just argue….
david jencks

On Mar 23, 2015, at 9:28 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbarcea@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now here lies the problem.
>
> I agree that it captures the intent well. That also creates an expectation from the users
and sort of a promise from the activemq pmc, amplified by the vendors' marketing (well, exactly
one in this case). The same promise has been made with apollo.

> I am less concerned with the rewrite. To me that is not an issue. If smaller or larger
parts are rewritten but maintain (reasonable) feature parity, it is an evolution of the same
project.

> I am however more concerned with the ability of the activemq6 podling/subproject to build
a diverse community. So far I don't see encouraging signs. My fear is that the result will
be alienation of the more diverse activemq 5.x community (still less diverse than it should
be) and turn activemq into a one company show.

> So far it looks it looks to me that the perception card was played, with the choice of
name. It *sounds* like activemq6 the evolution of activemq. How will the current pmc ensure
that this is really gonna be the case? (fwiw, I do get questions about the relationship between
amq6 and 5 already, and for the life of me I don't know how to answer).